The day started off with a bang. I went in early, in time to take Lucas's temperature and change his diaper. Mom would be coming in later in the day, which meant that I would be giving Lucas a bottle for the first time. As I unswaddled the little guy to take his temperature, I noticed something was missing . . . his cannula! Last night, one of the residents had made the call to let him fly and remove him from all breathing support. For a brief moment, he was only one feeding tube in his nose away from an entirely unencumbered face. With both of us pretty happy, we enjoyed our first bottle together.
Lucas did pretty well with the bottle, finishing a whole 12mL all by himself. He also has his weight up to 1555 grams. People keep telling me I'm supposed to be frustrated at this point that they don't learn to eat faster. I don't get it. Spending time with him, watching the look on his face as he tries to eat, it's all just way too much fun to worry about tomorrow.
Olivia continued her slow-but-steady progress. She made up for her last two days of slow weight gain by gaining 40 grams today, which puts her at 1460. Maybe she wants off her cpap. Maybe she knew that Wednesday is growth day and the doctors would be reviewing her growth chart for the week. I told her that cramming for the test never works, so here's hoping she doesn't get in the habit of doing things at the last minute. Lucas did take a small step back before mom was able to visit in the afternoon. Though I had bragged to her about Lucas's graduation from cannula, she arrived for his 2 pm nursing to find him back on it. It turns out he wasn't quite ready and was having a few bradies and desats. So it goes in the nicu. Two steps forward, one step back. We are told it is not a big deal and that hopefully he will be able to come off the cannula again in a couple days. We're proud either way and will just keep taking fun pictures so that some day, Lucas and Olivia can appreciate just how miraculous and precious life can be.
No comments:
Post a Comment