Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Home Alone

Grandma and Grandpa left this morning, leaving Mom, Dad, and Lucas at home by ourselves for the first time.  So far, so good.  Mom and Dad split the day with visits to the hospital to hang out with Olivia, with the other parent home with Lucas.  So there was really some solo parenting today :)  We are working on following the wise advice passed on by other parents to sleep when the baby sleeps, which works really well except when Lucas gets squirmy and the alarm for a loose lead goes off on his monitor.  I'm pretty sure that I for one will fall into the group of parents who are happy to be rid of the monitor "security blanket" as soon as possible.  Hopefully at next week's visit to the apnea clinic we will be able to start working towards that.  Luckily, the alarms don't bother Lucas at all - if we didn't have to partially undress him to reattach his leads, he would be completely not bothered.  I guess that's what 11 weeks in the NICU will do for you - an ability to sleep through lots of loud noises.  Not a bad trait for a baby actually. 

Olivia also had a great day.  She took her p.o. feeds well overnight and had two good nursing sessions with Mom this morning.  She seems to have a lot more energy than she has over the past week, which is so nice to see.


The attending was very encouraged by Olivia's progress and if she has another good night then tomorrow we'll go back up to trying to take all feeds by mouth.  It appears that we may have turned a corner, and if that is the case, the attending thinks Olivia might be ready to go home on Friday.  We would be so excited if that happens.  Lucas is going to visit his little sister tomorrow and give her some words of encouragement :)  Keep rooting for us...

1 comment:

  1. Your second-to-last sentence answered the question I was going to ask - I'm glad to hear Lucas can visit (since splitting your time sounds tough), though I suspect he's enjoying his solo parent time with each of you while it lasts. Here's hoping Friday's the day for Olivia!

    ReplyDelete