Friday, May 14, 2010

Growing Along

One thing I have learned in the past 2 1/2 weeks that both babies have been home, and especially this past week when Dad went back to work - it's really hard to do anything besides take care of babies when you're taking care of babies :) Especially when you have two of them!  Case in point - my three-day effort to find enough time when I have at least one hand free (holding only one baby) to update the blog.  I've also learned that I can do a lot more with only one arm than I would've thought possible, some productivity is better than none, and you can get a lot done in 40 minutes when two babies are sleeping if you run around really fast.

We are all doing wonderfully.  Slowed down one-handed productivity aside, we are having a blast.  When it's not too warm, the babies and I are enjoying walks around the neighborhood, making friends with the proprietors of various local coffee shops, bakeries, and Eastern Market stalls.  We even walked Daddy to the Metro this morning - it felt very 1950s, although I guarantee you I didn't look nearly as well-groomed as June Cleaver.  When we're not strolling around, the babies like to eat, sleep, snuggle and play.   They both are increasing their neck strength and Lucas has started to enjoy laying on his back on the playmat and cooing at the toys.  I'm not sure how much he sees, but he certainly seems to enjoy hanging out and gazing around more than he did last week.  And Olivia continues to have her curious alert times when, as Dad put it, her eyes are as big as golf balls. The babies also enjoyed visits over the past week from their auntie Jenn and uncle Andrew, and then their nana Carol.

Health-wise, the babies are also doing great.  They continue to put on weight, not at an amazing clip, but at a good one.  At this week's visit, Olivia was up to 5lbs 11oz and Lucas 6lbs 10oz - that's about three times their birth weights.  Now if they could do that again in the next three months, I would be really impressed.  More exciting, neither baby had any apneas (and only one brady for Olivia) for the past two weeks.  That means that we are stopping the caffeine (and the sodium, because the bloodwork looked good) and if all continues to go well, at our follow-up appointment in June we will be done with the monitors.  Reducing the meds is nice, but graduating from the monitors will really be an exciting achievement.  Lucas will have his hernia surgery on Monday, which should be the end of that nonsense.  I will stay overnight with him at the hospital and Dad will have a sleepover with Olivia. We look forward to a quick recovery and return to our usual adventures at home.

And now, some very cute photos:









1 comment:

  1. adorable! so glad you managed to find the time to post these. and it's great to hear that everyone is doing so well!

    ReplyDelete